Saturday, June 18, 2011

Teaching English in Bangkok

So, it is getting close to two months of teaching in Bangkok. We have both found work with an English language centre teaching corporate classes. This is a big change from kids and teenagers in Hanoi but is a new challenge and has been really enjoyable. Most of the corporate classes are at the company so there is a lot of public transport jumping from class to class. It has been a really good way to explore the city. Depending on where the company is you will get some kind of transport allowance which will cover your costs. Working in companies also gives you a first-hand look at the set up of many different Thai offices. Often I walk through the middle of an open plan office to get to a meeting room. Giggles usually follow as I pass.

At the moment I am working for a number of different companies. These include a tyre, telecommunications, supermarket chain, baby formula and wheel manufacturing companies. They are spread out across the city. I use the full range of public transport options available including motorbikes, trains, taxis, company vans, buses and even grabbed a lift with a student once. You either have the option of watching the buzz of the city as you cruise through the streets or using the travel time to catch up on a good book. I alternate between the two.

The students are all generally great. Most of them want to learn (some are forced to be there by their company) and are respectful and friendly. There does not seem to be the overwhelming hunger to learn English like in Vietnam but that being said I don’t have any corporate experience from Vietnam to compare. I try to incorporate some of the games I used in Vietnam with the kids with mixed results. Some companies, foreign owned and managed, seem to be passing their culture too deep into their Thai employees. The games which seem to interesting to everyone else don’t receive much enthusiasm. Jokes are tough to crack as well. If they don’t like my stupid jokes I am doomed. That is my wholes sales pitch. That being said, most enjoy the classes I give them and are very appreciative. The Thais are funny and like to have fun in the classroom. That makes them very easy to teach.

I am teaching everyday so getting decent hours is not a problem. The money is much less than Vietnam but that is across the board so there is not too much you can do. Corporate work definitely pays the best so if you have a bit of experience that is a good avenue to go for. Otherwise, you can teach kids and teenagers in a branch which I plan to do to fill up my hours. It is also a good way to meet new people.

Tomorrow, I have an early class starting a bit after 7am. It is close to home so a short motorbike taxi is all that is needed. After, a modern sky train followed by a run-down, battling old bus will take me to my next class. In the evening I teach a long way out of town in a manufacturing company where everyone wears pink polo shirts - an interesting touch. I company van, local bus, sky train and motorbike taxi is required to get home. At the moment the travel in interesting but I suspect it will get tiring and painful at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment