Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bangkok Visa Extension

Immigration in Bangkok

Recently I had to get a visa extension to extend my stay in Thailand an extra 30 days. As this was my first time I was a little unsure of the process and found conflicting information online as well as on other travel related information. For that reason I thought I would explain the process.

You need to go to Sub Division 1 at the Bangkok Government Center on Chaengwattana Road. This has apparently been the case since 2009 but maps, including the Groovy Maps which are otherwise a good buy, nearly sent me to the old Immigration Office in town near Silom. This would have been much more practical. However, the new office requires a longer trip.

The best way to get there is to take the sky train to Mo Chit. From there you have a few options. I took a taxi which cost 100 baht going there and 125 baht coming back. It took me around 25 minutes. There are countless taxis leaving from the station. There are some vans leaving from either Mo Chit (#10) or Victory Monument (#64, 82, 87) but I have not tried using these. To take a van you really need to know what you are doing or have all the information written down in Thai. I recommend this for a taxi as well. I took a van once by showing people my written note saying where I wanted go. I was directed to the right place and the driver dropped me where I needed to go. It cost 20 baht. That being said it was quite a drawn out trip so I recommend taking the taxi.

Once at the Immigration you first need to fill out an application form. You then proceed to another counter to get a queue ticket. And then you wait. I arrived at 10am with 45 people in front of me. About 5 people before my number they took lunch which they do every day from 12-1pm. At 1.30pm my number was called. Here you must present your passport, passport photo and photocopies of your main passport page, your visa, your visa stamp and your departure card. Make sure you have all these things. I forgot to copy the departure card which received a frown from the officer but thankfully she didn't ask me to go and get it copied. There are photo and photocopy services at the center if you need them. I paid my 1,900 baht and 20 minutes had my visa. I was there for 4 hours.

So,

1. Get there early. 10am is to late.
2. Make sure everything is photocopied.
3. Take the taxi from Mo Chit.
4. Get someone to write down the address in Thai.

If you do find yourself there over lunch there is a decent food court and even a bit of shopping you can do.

I counted 12 different nationalities just from the passports I actually saw people carrying. There would have been many more. Thailand is attracting people from all over the world and this little visa extension business must be a nice little revenue raiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment