Monday, June 27, 2011

Preparing to cook Asian food



I come from a family of cordon bleus. My mum can cook about anything, my grandmas make amazing family stuff like bouillabaisse, paella and couscous, my sister has her own cooking blog... I mean come on, I can't even make a quiche. Well, I tried, a couple of days ago, but it turns out making a quiche in Thailand is damn expensive, it kind of defeats the purpose. Making Thai food is cheap, of course, but there's no point sweating on making a Thai curry for hours when I can buy one downstairs in 5 minutes and let's face it... the one from the street stand downstairs is much, much nicer than I would ever be able to make it. So, when I thought about the price of the ingredients (only cheap stuff here is obviously what Thai people use, not the imported ingredients) and what I could make with them that wasn't already available at every street corner here for like, a dollar, it became clear to me that I would have to concentrate on:
- Thai food that I can't find at every street corner near my house
- Other Asian foods

So I bought an awesome Asian cookbook.

After browsing a few recipes, I went for the biggest shop ever. I got all the Asian cooking sauces and curry pastes you can think of... My kitchen is rudimentary: I don't even have an oven, and I had only one poor frying pan. So I bought a grill-saucepan thing. It's amazing, I can cook everything with it.

I will keep this blog updated on recipes I'm trying, but this particular post is mainly about that huge shopping...

I'm quite impressed with my shopping list and most of all with the price of things here. Buying only Asian products makes shopping much more affordable!

Here's a picture of everything I bought, and here's the list:

1 electric grill/wok combined
1 Chopping board
2 chopping knives
1 Wooden spoon
3 Tupperware’s
1 washing up liquid
1 pack of Ginger Tea
1 bottle of olive oil
1 bottle of Sesame oil
1 bottle of normal oil
1 bottle of Worcestershire sauce
1 jar of ground coriander
1 bottle of oyster sauce
1 bottle of teriyaki sauce
1 jar of peanut butter
3 cartons of coconut milk
14 packs of chili/curry paste bases
3 x rice paper rolls
1 x kg rice
7 x packs fresh and dried noodles
3 x packs tofu
400g minced pork
6 x chicken fillets
200g duck
Salted cashew nuts
Roasted pumpkin kernels
Organic sesame seeds
10 x garlic
1 x pack mushrooms
Bok choy (Chinese broccoli)
4 x limes
1 Pack of red chilis
1 Pack of fresh ginger
6 x red apples
4 x onions
Various herbs
2 x corn on the cob
2 x bread bun packs
3 x cardboard dividers (to help sort my work books and documents)
1 x A4 plastic case
1 x glue
4 x hooks for the wall

Man will I be able to cook with THAT!!!
Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment