Thursday, June 2, 2011

One worm one dollar


Today for lunch we splurged and went to a Korean restaurant in Korea town, 500 meters away from our Soi. I've really been missing Korean food, in Hanoi I'd eat Korean at least once a week. I love how they bring you 15 small dishes as well as what you ordered... It's always such a feast: kimchi pancake and Dduk Bok Kki are my all time favs. The latter is a rich spicy red dish, made of cylindric rice cakes, a bit like thick pasta or gnocci. I love it. In Seoul, it's sold as a street food everywhere. Sometimes it's just a bit spicy, and sometimes it will burn your head off.
Today we ordered the Dduk Bok Kki and were surprised to find some weird seafood and sea snails in it... the most surprising though, was to find that one of the bits of food I picked from the center's dish to place inside Dan's bowl, good wife that I am, happened to be a massive worm.
I was a bit shocked, but I thought it was a sea worm. When I saw the little legs on it though and realised it was definitly the only worm in the dish, it started to dawn on me that this wasn't part of the meal. It was a mistake worm, so escaped from the kitchen's walls worm...
Ergh. It was all flat too, meaning its insides had been released in the sauce we'd been eating. Gross.
We pointed the massive empty worm to the waitress, who blushed and ran into the kitchens. I was laughing and fighting the urge to be sick at the same time. But joy o joy, when the waitress came back, she offered us a massive 10% discount for our misfortune!! How lucky ARE WE??? That's like... a whole dollar!

So, now you understand the title of this post... because in Korea Town, Bangkok, it's a well known fact: one worm = one dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment