Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My week in Bangkok: Monday

Street Food at Happyland Centre

My Monday morning starts early with a 7am class. Luckily, the company is not too far away so a short motorbike taxi, leaving from the bottom of our apartment block, makes it pretty easy. The motorbike taxi ride takes a few minutes and costs 15 baht. They never offer a helmet, despite it being the law, and asking for one receives the same bewildered expression time after time, so to save the hassle Celine bought me one.

My next class requires the skytrain and then a bus. It takes a little under an hour to get there. I read a book to pass the time. My class is in a company that sits alongside Bang Kapi Mall; one of the big shopping centers in Bangkok. Close to the Mall is Happyland Centre; a separate shopping centre that has a big food court of street food. This is where I usually take an early lunch with a great selection to choose from. This is the same food court where my brother, Chris and his now wife, Nok came to eat Papaya salad, among other things, many years ago. Nok used to study around this area so knows the Mall well and would take Chris here. I will try the Papaya salad next week.

Happyland centre street food stand

Lunch at Happyland


My final class of the day is near my home and finishes at 6pm. I went to meet Celine on Sukhumvit Soi 38, the Soi we stayed in when we first arrived. Here, they have some great street food so we both dug into a noodle soup for an early dinner.

Soi 38 Noodle Soup

Soi 38 Street Food

After, we crossed the road and walked up Soi 55 (Thong Lor Street). This area has a bunch of trendy restaurants, cafes and bars as well as small shopping centers and various boutique stores. The evening seems to be the time to go. We noted a few must visit restaurants and searched in vain for a particular pub. Without luck we took a taxi, who decided to take the longest possible way, to Soi 33 for a beer at an English pub. Soi 33 and the surrounding area have a bunch of pubs and bars to choose from and is only a 10-15 minute walk from home. Happy days.

I am sold! Thong Lor Street; This burger place is on my list

No comments:

Post a Comment