Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Private Dancer

The bar scene in Bangkok

As the books front pages say this "should be compulsory reading for all first-timers to Thailand". It is an interesting take on the go-go bar scene in Bangkok from both a Westerners and a local Thai girls perspective. The book is based on the go-go bars in Nana Plaza, which is about a 20 minute walk from our place.

The whole foreigner - Thai relationship is prevalent in Bangkok. Most of my colleagues have Thai girlfriends; many expats in our flats have Thai girlfriends; and whenever you go out and about you will see a foreigner with a Thai girl. I am not saying that these relationships started in go-go bars. I assume most don't. However, I have had coversations with some foreigners who have met a girl in a bar and they often don't end well.

Anyway, I recommend this book for a bit of an insight into how the bar world in Bangkok works.

No comments:

Post a Comment