Monday, October 17, 2011

Flooding in Bangkok

Note from Management

The flooding around Thailand and the rest of South East Asia has been terrible. It is the topic of discussion with all of my classes. One of my students is the head of BCM for her company and has had to evacuate a number of her stores throughout the country. Two other students are experiencing some level of flooding and another has has to leave her house. Despite that they all seem to be pretty upbeat about it all. One of my students, who is in a problem area, told me that his house was flooded and then proceeded to laugh.

I am in the center of the city and from "most" accounts it should be ok here. That being said, all shops around my area have sandbags at the front of their stores. Our apartment block seems to be going to extremes with a mass of sandbags and even a small motored boat. I received the above letter under my door this morning warning about the potential floods in our area. I have the feeling it is a bit of an exaggeration.........I hope so anyway...........ten days of going to the toilet in a plastic bag does not sound that enjoyable.

This mornings article in the Bangkok Post has declared Bangkok safe so I think all the hard work by thousands of Thai people to divert the water has paid off. I can only hope that it get's better from now and people can have a chance to get back to their normal lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment