Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Bangkok Floods # 2

Latest from Management

Celine and I returned from Hanoi today to the latest message from management about the floods in Bangkok. The situation is getting worse but I don't see the water hitting 2 meters deep here in the center of Bangkok. But I could be wrong. The owner of our apartment block certainly thinks so. He told me I should leave Bangkok. He said the water will arrive in the next few days and that, in his words, I will have to "shit in a bag" if I stay. There will be no water therefore no toilet and no electricity when the floods arrive. While I was enjoying a swim in the roof pool today workers were installing a metal door too the access area to the pool. This, the owner told me, was to control residents access to the pool when it became the only source of water in the apartment block. He didn't want everyone coming to the pool to wash themselves. He also told me they were going to have an armed guard at all times. I am not sure why. My gut feeling is that this is all a bit extreme but I guess time will tell.

One of the airports was closed today and I think the government has declared a public holiday for the next few days. You can find the latest on the floods at the Bangkok Post otherwise Twitter is providing a constant flow of information.

Bangkok just had a pretty intense downpour for about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment