Monday, April 18, 2011

Songkran festival in Bangkok

Songkran water festival

The Songkran festival is a three day all in water fight celebrating the traditional Thai New Year. The festival is from April 13-15. I heard about the festival from friends in Hanoi but was surprised at the extent of the celebrations. Thais roam the streets of the city throwing water from buckets or with water guns. Most stand on the side of the road and throw water on each other as well as cars, taxis, motorbikes or pedestrians passing by. Small trucks, loaded with young Thais and tubs of water, drive the streets chucking and receiving water as they go. This is my kind of fun.

Songkran water guns

We opted for Khao San Road which was a good decision. The streets were packed in festival fashion with thousands throwing water and rubbing chalk paste on each other. From midday to around 10pm the fight continues with small bars the only respite to dry off and gather your strengths. Within minutes you are drenched from head to toe and there is absolutely no way of escaping this. Khao San Road area is popular with foreigners who happily join the battle; armed with water guns. Cheeky Thais fill their tubs of water with big chunks of ice - you definitely knew when you got a litre of that water down your back. In and around the water fight is music and dancing giving the place a real festival feel.

Songkran via truck


After 7 hours of throwing water - man it went quickly - we jumped on a motorbike taxi home. With the exception of maybe the running of the bulls in Spain I would have to say it was the coolest festival I have been to. The Thai people really know how to have a good time.



The following day I opted for a subway not far from my house; not wearing my swimming attire. People had packed the streets for the 2nd day of the festival. On either side of the road Thais enthusiastically threw water on traffic as they passed. I was weaponless so I thought maybe the Thais would take pity on me. They didn't. Holding my wallet up in the air I took bucket after bucket of water, some icy cold, from cheeky Thai girls laughing their heads off. One girl at a massage place asked if I wanted a massage. I said no thanks. She took this as a good reason to pour cold water right down my front. She asked again. I smiled and said no thanks. Three of her friends surrounded me hitting me from all angles until I was soaked to the bone. So much for dodging the water. I finally arrived at subway realising that after I ordered I had to go back the way I came.

I loved Songkran and am now suffering withdrawals.

No comments:

Post a Comment