Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hitting the slopes

St Julien and the lake

After arriving in Marseille Celine's Mum picked us up and soon after we drove two hours to St Julien; a small village at the bottom of the Alps. Celine's family owns a small house here which sits alongside a beautiful lake, surrounded by mountains. It is a charming little village with no more than 100 houses. It is extremely peaceful and the air is fresh (a welcome relief after Hanoi). Celine's family come here many times throughout the year; in summer and in winter. In summer you can sail and swim on the water. In the winter it is about a 25 minute drive to the nearest ski resort.

St Julien

On Tuesday morning we packed up the car and headed for the resort. Celine and her sister's two kids were on skis and Cedric, Celine's sisters husband and I opted for snowboards. It is a great little resort and we had a lot of fun there. Being French, they were all very good and were very patient with the uncoordinated Australian. Their kids, 9 and 5, are amazing. Alice, who is not much taller than my knees would without fear fly down the red slope. Very impressive to watch. Celine is great on the skis and Cedric looks like a professional. It was fun watching her and listening to some stories about her growing up. We spent the day there until the last ski lift. I spent most of the day on my bum.



The next morning we did another half day. By the end I was starting to get the hang of it and was able to hold my own on the red slope although all my muscles were killing. I would have been able to do it without the much needed guidance from Cedric and Celine. Thanks guys, I needed it.

The sun was shining both days. I can't wait to go back.

Down again....Cedric and Noe giving advice

Struggling - Alice showing me how it should be done

Finally up

Cedric and the kids

3 comments:

  1. Dan, you are indistinguishable from the snow. So white...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like great fun. You are braver than I. Glad you got the hang of it and had fun. The kids look gorgeous. What a great family reunion. Will write more later.
    Suey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super, Dan pour ton article sur Saint Julien du Verdon, bravo tu tiens tout seul sur le surf
    bises tatie Ginou

    ReplyDelete