Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Teaching English Abroad while studying

Studying in Hanoi.......maybe

I have been living abroad and teaching English for close to two years. While teaching English and travelling to some really cool places I have been studying my not so cool commerce degree.

Favourite Beach in Thailand; Ton Sai Beach Krabi

With the global financial crisis in full swing and an aching desire to travel and experience different cultures it took a few months of research for my wife and I to realize that teaching English was the best option. While in Sydney we completed an online TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course with i-to-i. It was a piece of cake, really, and pretty good value for money. After that we had to decide where to go. We wanted to travel to Asia but there was the issue of me not having completed my degree. Many countries want a degree as a minimum requirement when applying for a job. Some, however, are not as strict as others and it was for this reason that we chose Hanoi in Vietnam. Work wasn’t guaranteed but we thought that if we arrived and presented ourselves there would be opportunities. There was!

Hanoi's West Lake

Both Celine and I had jobs in Vietnam within days of arriving. This was without any teaching experience and only a TEFL certificate and a happy smile to offer. We had continuous offers for work for the year and a half we were there and were earning really good money by the time we left (saving more than we were in Sydney). For more details see Teaching English in Hanoi.

Vietnamese market

What’s better, I could study my university degree, which I never had real time to properly do in Sydney, while living in Hanoi. I study at Deakin University in Melbourne via distance education. There are other universities that offer distance education degrees in Australia and I assume other western countries as well. I send my assignments online, watch lectures online and sat my exams in Hanoi. This has been a win-win situation for me; writing assignments while exploring any number of cool Hanoi cafes. In our year and a half in Hanoi we had a great quality of life and we were able to visit many other Asian countries.

Now, we have moved to Thailand where I have often read of a requirement for a degree in order to get a teaching job. I have not finished my degree yet; however have found a good job teaching English. My degree allows me to sit exams in Thailand as well as many other countries around the world.

So, after nearly two years my wife and I have seen and learnt so many great things, giving us a wonderful authentic experience of living in Vietnam and now Thailand. If you bring a good attitude to teaching and can sell yourself as a friendly, reliable person I think everything is else is easy. Getting a job has never been a problem (despite not having a degree); living off teaching wages is no issue (even possibilities for saving) and the experiences are just awesome.

So, if you want a career break, can’t find a job at home, want to study abroad but don’t want to work in bars then consider teaching English. It allows you to travel the world.

8 comments:

  1. I like your story, thanks for sharing.

    Teaching English sounds like it's worth doing and I might consider that in the future!

    Thanks for connecting on Twitter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching pays the bills but also gives you a great insight into the culture of the people which I think is one of the best parts of travelling.

    I am enjoying reading your blog.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    Stumbled across your blogs just recently but it came at the right time as, after a couple of years of corporate work in Melb, I'm looking for a change.

    I'm keen to teach English in Hanoi and wanted to know which i-to-i TEFL course you did. Was the basic 20 hour classroom one sufficient to get work?

    Cheers mate,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrew,

    I did my course through a company called i-to-i; http://www.i-to-i.com/tefl/

    I did a 100 hour online course with no classroom experience. Getting classroom experience is better but I don't think it is necessary. I had work within a few days of arriving. Having a degree will give you more options but you can still find work without one.

    I have written about teaching in Hanoi a few times on my other blog which might help you out.

    http://teamfroz.blogspot.com/2011/01/teaching-english-in-hanoi.html

    Hanoi is a great place to go and teach. You will earn more than most other places and the quality of life is great. Vietnam is really booming but it has not been overrun by tourism yet so it is a good time to go.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learn English in England-Learn English in England and you are signing up for an adventure that may well change your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you studied while teaching English? I'm a South African with a law degree but I want to teach English in Asia while studying some commerce degree. Do you think its possible?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi There,

    As long as your uni allows you to study distance education it is no problem. My university, based in Melbourne, allows students to sit their exams in a bunch of different cities throughout Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is quite inspiring to see your passion.

    ReplyDelete